Tax Controversy Assistance

Have you received a notice from the IRS? We may be able to help . . . 

Our Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC) is designed to help low-income taxpayers with federal income tax controversies under $50,000. Although this program does not assist with tax preparation for the current tax year, we can help with a number of other tax issues:

We never charge a fee for our services.

Getting Help

Do I Qualify for Help?

June 2012 Tax Forum Upright

You must meet the following criteria in order to qualify for the program

Tax Controversy

Your tax issue must be a controversy. This means that you must have an issue involving past tax years. Your problem may be that the IRS notified you that you are being audited, your refund is being withheld by the IRS, or the IRS placed a lien on your property for owed taxes.

Amount of Taxes Owed

The back taxes owed or the amount the IRS is questioning cannot exceed $50,000 for any one tax year. In other words, if the IRS is questioning three years of returns, the amount of each year cannot be over $50,000 in taxes and penalties owed, or a total of $150,000 for the three-year period.

Annual Income

You must not have an annual income above the following amounts according to your family size:

Size of Family Unit Income Ceiling (250% of Poverty Guidelines)
48 Contiguous States, Puerto Rico, and D.C.
1 $30,150 $37,650 $34,650
2 $40,600 $50,725 $46,675
3$51,050 $63,800 $58,700
4 $61,500 $76,875 $70,725
5$71,950$89,950 $82,750
6 $82,400 $103,025 $94,775
7 $92,850 $116,100 $106,800
8 $103,300 $129,175 $118,825
For each additional person, add $10,450 $13,075 $12,025

How Do I Get Help?

There is a simple process to receive FREE help with your tax issue: (Review the program criteria above to see if you qualify)

  • If you qualify, or if you’re unsure whether or not you qualify, call Community Legal Services of Mid-Florida, Inc. at 1-866-886-1799.
  • You will speak to an intake assistant who will ask you a series of questions to verify that you qualify.
  • If you qualify, we will make an appointment with you to speak with a case handler. All appointments are confidential.
  • Prior to your appointment, we will have you sign various documents such as a retainer agreement.
  • When you arrive for your appointment, bring all the papers you have related to your tax issue (copies of tax returns, letters from the IRS, etc.)
  • We will then take copies of your paperwork and give you legal advice specific to your situation. After a few days, you will receive an acceptance letter from us, or if we are unable to take your case, a closing advice letter.
  • If you are accepted, we will find you a pro bono (volunteer) tax professional – a tax attorney, CPA or other tax professional – to assist you in resolving your problem.
  • Contact your assigned tax professional as soon as you receive your letter.
  • This process can take a few weeks. Although we do our best to find a tax professional in your area, please be aware that you may need to travel to meet your assigned tax professional or handle matters by telephone, mail, or fax.

I just need to file my current year tax return…

While our LITC does not assist with current year tax preparation, you can file for free through the IRS website if your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) is $50,000 or less. You can also look for an AARP Tax-Aide location near you by calling 888-687-2277 or visiting their website during tax season. There are also Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites located across the country. Find the one closest to you by using the VITA Locator Tool or by calling 1-800-906-9887.

What do I do if Civil Rights Have been Violated?

It is the Internal Revenue Service’s mission to provide America’s taxpayers top quality service by helping them understand and meet their tax responsibilities and by applying the tax law with integrity and fairness to all. Under no circumstances will the Internal Revenue Service tolerate discrimination by its employees, grantees, contractors, and/or subcontractors. No one shall be excluded from participating in, be denied the benefits of, or be subject to discrimination because of race, color, sex, national origin, disability, reprisal, or age in programs or activities funded by the Department of Treasury – Internal Revenue Service.

We do not help businesses with tax problems and we do not prepare tax returns. For more taxpayer information, contact your local United Way office to find a free tax preparer under the VITA program near you OR call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040

Contact Information: Operations Director, Civil Rights Division, Internal Revenue Service, 1111 Constitution Avenue, NW, Room 2413, Washington, D.C. 20224

Click here for more information. 

Request a Speaker

Arrange a presentation for your group or organization on topics ranging from Cancelled Debt to New Tax Law Changes to Audits & Exams, today. Contact us at 1-866-886-1799.