Community Legal Services of Mid-Florida’s Fair Housing Project promotes equal opportunity in housing for all persons through education, investigation and enforcement. “Fair Housing” refers to laws and regulations that make it illegal to discriminate on the basis of a protected class in housing. This includes activities related to the rental, sale, lending and advertising of a dwelling.
Federal law prohibits housing discrimination based on protected classes. Protected classes are race, color, national origin, religion, sex/gender, familial status or disability. Services are available free to any person who experiences housing discrimination in Citrus, Flagler, Hernando, Lake, Marion, Orange, Putnam or Sumter counties, regardless of income.
If you feel that your rights have been violated while trying to rent a unit, purchase a home, obtain a home mortgage or purchase homeowners insurance, please email us or call (407) 841-7777 ext. 2161.
What is Housing Discrimination?
Housing Discrimination can include occasions where:
- The manager takes your application and promises to call you, but your phone never rings.
- You have a service animal (such as a guide dog) and you are told “No pets allowed.”
- The landlord explains why another place would be better for you.
- The real estate agent steers you away from the neighborhood you requested.
- Your condo or homeowners association won’t let you make physical modifications to your unit to meet your disability.
- You are told that all first floor units are rented and children aren’t allowed on the upper floors.
- A lender imposes different terms and conditions on a mortgage loan (such as interest rates or application procedures).
If you feel that your rights have been violated while renting, financing or purchasing homeowners insurance, please call us at (352) 629-0105 ext. 2930 or email us now! If you believe you have been a victim of discrimination, keep a detailed written record of all conversations that you have had regarding your housing issue such as receipts, leases, contracts, applications, and letters.
Want an educational presentation?
We are available to give presentations to community groups, housing professionals, government officials and anyone interested in additional Fair Housing training. Call us to schedule a presentation at (407) 841-7777 ext. 2161 or email us now!
Want written material on Fair Housing?
We can supply you with pamphlets for distribution to your clients, patients, employees, students, and members of your business and/or organization. Call us to receive materials on fair housing at (407) 841-7777 ext. 2161 or email us now!
Below are selected brochures published by CLSMF. You can see the full list of brochures here.